Swedish Rice Porridge is traditionally served around Christmas time in Europe, and can be left as a treat for Santa(instead of the milk and cookies option that Americans utilize) and is versatile because it can be a breakfast meal or a sweet dessert treat just by adding a little extra sweetener. However, if you have a young one that really enjoys the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, you can use this recipe to bring a bit of that book to life! Make your very own “just right” Goldilocks porridge!
I’ll be honest and say that I was a little hesitant to eat this. I’m not always the most adventurous eater when it comes to foods with interesting textures, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this, as did the rest of the family.
So, how do you make this not so gooey breakfast? Just follow the directions below (*Be prepared: this takes a little time and is not something you can just whip up quickly.)
Goldilocks Porridge (Swedish Rice Porridge)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1 apple, chopped (peeling optional)
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Honey (for drizzling)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and swirl it around for a good coating.
- Put the rice, water, cinnamon stick(or ground cinnamon) and salt in the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. (*Be vigilant here so that you don’t scorch the rice!*)
- Pour the milk into the saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer(*Do this slowly. If you rush it the milk will curdle). When the milk begins to simmer, turn heat down to low.
- Carefully add the apple, raisins and brown sugar. Stir gently to incorporate.
- Cover the pan and simmer the porridge for 30-45 minutes. As it cooks, it will thicken. Stir occasionally.
- When the porridge is the not too cold, not too hot, but just right (had to do it), take the pot off the heat. Stir in the vanilla.
- Drizzle with honey, if desired. Serve warm.